Hail Damage

Old 06-16-12, 09:30 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hail Damage

I have an AC unit that has quite a few dents (half to one inch in diamter). They look like from hail damage.
Is it safe if I buy special comb from Home Depot to straighten them out?
see the ones circled in green.

Name:  Hail_Damage.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 06-16-12, 09:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Those few dent is not going to hurt anything.. Honestly, I've never had much luck with the combs.

Do you have a dog? If so, keep the dog from going to the bathroom on the coil.

Old 06-16-12, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
When I moved here to AZ..my rooftop unit was much worse than yours. I bought a set of plastic fin straightener combs from a local HVAC place for about $10. They had different sizes so I could get just the right spacing. They worked very well. I've also used them on my vehicles. I felt pretty safe using them as opposed to the metal ones I saw.

How much they helped...I dunno...but the roof unit was really due for a cleaning and I feel better knowing airflow is as good as it can be.

Old 06-16-12, 03:23 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
+1 on the dog observation. That will kill the coil very fast. As for the hail damage, I take a plastic bucket and a small screwdriver. You sit on the bucket, and carefully run the screwdriver between the fins. Slow, but it works.

Old 06-16-12, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
On my old heat pump, I had the opposite problem. Freezing rain and sleet would accumulate on the fan blades. Well, when the unit started, all the ice started breaking off and flew like shrapnel on the inside of the coils! Recently had a Trane 15i installed with the hard cover and gossamer type fan. Selling point for me was the hardtop. When he pulled the old unit, I curiously pulled the top off and the inside looked like a bomb went off, obviously affecting the heat/cool operation.

Old 06-16-12, 05:03 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Those little areas are not going to affect much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: