Water buildup in new wall a/c. A flaw or normal?

Old 06-16-12, 11:29 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water buildup in new wall a/c. A flaw or normal?

I bought a Frigidaire wall a/c, model FRA106HT1. I installed it in the special metal sleeve for a wall a/c. It seems to be fine except I see no water dripping onto the balcony outside. When the a/c has been running for many hours and even overnight, there's no dripping from the sleeve but there is a build-up of water in the rear (back) of the a/c. [I checked the tilt of the sleeve and it's fine for water drainage.] The water is maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep in a metal pan-like floor in the back of the machine. Peering through the grille at the back of the machine, I don't see any hole for the water to go through so that the water would then fall onto the sleeve and drip onto the balcony. Is this normal? Maybe they design these machines so that the exiting quite hot air just evaporates the water thereby allowing no water to drip out and fall onto the balcony of the person below me. Is that the way it is in such wall a/c's mainly used in apartment buildings?

Old 06-16-12, 03:15 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Do not be alarmed, this is a normal and expected condition. If you look closely at the condenser fan, you will notice it has a ring around the outside of it, that dips down into this accumulated water. This is called a slinger ring, and it's intended to throw that condensate onto the condenser coil for added cooling.
Good to see a fellow Wisconsinite on here, by the way!
Andy

Old 06-16-12, 06:42 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Andy! I understand now how it works.

- usgs7

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: