Low air pressure from AC

Old 06-18-12, 05:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low air pressure from AC

I have a Ducane unit that the fan motor just went out on. I was able to replace the motor and it is now functional again, but we noticed the air pressure coming out in the bedrooms seems very low. We live in a single level 3 bedroom home, about 1150 sqft. The air coming out of the vents in the main area of the house (living room/dining room/kitchen) seems fine, but the air in the bedrooms still seems very weak. The filters are brand new. Only thing I can think of is that since we were out of AC for a week the house was up to 93 inside (105 outside) when we turned in on, maybe the cooling down process is taxing the system too much? really not sure what else to look at.

Thanks

Old 06-18-12, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If your airflow is different from before with just the fan motor change...look at the fan motor and wiring as the problem.

Most have 3 or 4 speeds....you need to make sure it was hooked up correctly.

Old 06-18-12, 06:54 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I replaced the fan motor on the unit outside. The cooling fan I guess (sorry, not an AC tech so im not sure what its actually called). I didnt think that would affect the airflow in the house. There is no speed selection, just 2 wires to hook up to the cap on the unit and one to another black box. I thought the blower fan was seperate from the outside unit?

Old 06-18-12, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ahh...my mistake...I thought you meant the air handler fan motor.

Replacing the condenser fan should have no effect on the interior air handler airflow as long as this is a split unit with an air handler in the attic/basement/garage and a condenser outside.

It could be unrelated and you've just noticed it since the system was your focus.

Please describe where your units are located and what type/size/length of ducts you have. I know it seems trivial...but you are there...and we are not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: