Old Borg-Warner condenser fan not running

Old 06-18-12, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Borg-Warner condenser fan not running

So yesterday the condenser fan quit working on this unit. I replaced the capacitors this afternoon and it ran for a little bit but stopped again.

Not sure how big it is, the label on the compressor is gone. The manual I have covers models HBEC-F018A, F024A, F030A, and FO36A

This is an older unit and I have the diagrams and stuff. There are no logic boards or anything and it looks like the fan should be running constantly. It was running for 5 minutes or so, it would shut off, then the compressor would start to get loud and the fan kicked on. After 20 minutes of this the fan quit coming on altogether.

How can I test the fan itself to know if it's bad? Is there something else that controls the fan? It looks like it's wired to be either on or off. It's got voltage, and the compressor runs constantly so I was assuming that the fan should be too. My guess is that the fan is overheating or something and failing, but I need some input here.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-12, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
sounds like the fan is failing/overheating..... time to replace it if it has a constant 240V and quits working.

Old 06-19-12, 05:33 AM
Is it safe to assume then that the fan SHOULD be constantly running? I forget how it used to act. Does the compressor unit have some kind of control over the fan running? The fan uses one of the caps to itself, but if I remember correctly they share the larger cap. Both caps only have two leads though, neither of them are duals.

Also this morning I tried it again to see if the fan would come on assuming that the over-heat cutoff might have reset by then, but it didn't work.

Just going to replace the fan based on the info I have so far. I am still interested in any more info I can get and will update with what I find.

This unit uses a clamp around the body of the motor, but the replacement I find in grainger has studs. Also it's rated 1.7-1.9 amps, whereas the original motor was only 1.3. All of the other specs match. Can I use this motor still?

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by jet8300; 06-19-12 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-19-12, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes that motor should work if all other specs are the same.

Old 06-23-12, 06:39 AM
Yeah, it was the motor. Replaced it and everything has worked for about a week. Thanks!