Programmable thermostats - wasteful? bad idea?

Old 06-19-12, 01:52 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Programmable thermostats - wasteful? bad idea?

programmable thermostats in homes are touted as major energy savers - but is this really true???

we all know that AC system use is based on temperature - but really, its all about humidity. a 75 degree room feels just fine when humidity is low but uncomfortable when humidity levels are high - no AC is needed.

programmable thermostats tend to actually remain on more often then you need them. if it gets uncomfortable turn on the AC ( a dial thermostat is more convenient)

so many times programmables will be left on when no one is home. it really doesnt take that much time to cool a home down when you arrive home

the inconvenience of staying on top of making sure all the programmed times are ok can lead to more use than is really needed.

i live with a simple dial thermostat and i personally like to control when the AC comes on - i dont forget to turn it off when i leave the house.

I hate hearing neighbors compressors come on when its cool outside (and when i know they are away) - dreadfully wasteful (with programmables you tend to loose site of when AC system is on or off) - and remember that opening a window when its cool is a good thing to do

in the winter, if i plan to leave for the day, i can handle a kitchen at 62 degrees for a few minutes in morning as I eat and run out the door. do i really need to turn up the heat and heat entire house when i am leaving house in 10 minutes from a kitchen that tends to warm up with stove use. A programmable thermostat is tough to deal with (a dial is so much easier) - and it doesnt take that long to bring up heat in most homes - so waiting till your home to turn up a thermostat at days end is no beg deal.

Old 06-19-12, 07:10 PM
R
the right applications are energy savers but i understandyour point. if your out on vacation some stats have an unoccupied setting. the new NEST thermostat has a motion detector in it, so i'm not sure if that thing will ever even come on if no one is around. technology is definately advancing and with the right setup a PROG TSTAT is a definate money saver.

Old 06-19-12, 08:16 PM
Z
motion detector for AC?

aside from lighting, i have a tough time seeing a motion sensor to control the AC

keep it simple for residential

for commercial office settings, a programmable makes sense, but how many offices make an effort to shut down systems during holidays, etc

more sophisticated commercial scheduling systems are not well understood and lets face it, no one really cares enough to tightly manage the system

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: