Central Air install question/HEPA filter

Old 06-21-12, 01:43 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central Air install question/HEPA filter

So we're getting a new unit put in with new ductwork (no existing) and the return is going to go over the stairwell. Being this is a hard to access area (need a tall ladder to reach) for filter changes, i was told they could place the filters (?) in the attic at the air handler. WIth that , i was told that i could also purchase a HEPA filter ($375) to add to the air handler. My thought was that we could buy those disposable HEPA type filters that go at the return grill.

So basically, my questions are:
1-Is it better to keep the filters at the return duct or is it ok to place them at the end of the return duct (at the air handler)?
and
2-Is it worthwhile to get the HEPA filter unit or can i get the same results with just the HEPA disposables?

THanks for the help

Old 06-21-12, 05:42 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
use a 4" filter at the air handler.

Old 06-21-12, 06:47 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
return grille sizing is different than standard return sizing and can cause issues with noise and velocity

Old 06-21-12, 07:43 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You can not put a HEPA filter on a residential system unless its a bypass type. 2nd a HEPA system will have it's own blower so there is no way you can get this that cheap. The filter will cost you 200. There is no such thing as a disposable heap filter. I'd go with a filtered return air grill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: