Help locating ECM motor.

Old 06-23-12, 05:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help locating ECM motor.

I've read many threads in this forum concerning ECM motors. Seems to be a fairly common problem. I'm no electrician, but when the a/c stopped working I investigated inside the air handler. The motor would not run in hand, pulled it out and discovered the circuit board in the end cap had 2 places burned up. Where does one go to find a replacement motor? The unit is a York, not sure of the model #. The motor is made by GE, model # 5SME39HL0331...1/2hp 1050rpm . I've found some similar motors online, but I'm not sure if they are interchangable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-12, 02:17 PM
if it is an ECM motor (variable speed) with the removable programmable module on the end then you must get the module from York as it must programmed for your air handler. But just buying the module is usually cheaper than a whole motor with module. The trouble you will run into is finding a supply house that will sell it to you. You more than likely could find a YORK dealer that would sell it to you though.

Old 06-24-12, 03:51 PM
Thanks

I ran into this problem because the air handler no longer has a model number on it. Will the label(s) on the motor/module contain enough info to select the proper motor/module? There seems to be a GE and possibly a York label on the motor...

Old 06-24-12, 04:01 PM
that will make it difficult but call a dealer and see if they can help

Old 06-24-12, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What's burned up on the board? I just had an issue with mine a few days ago (also a GE programmable motor but for a Trane) where the inrush current limiter thermistor on the top circuit board burned out. It's a small black (even when not charred) disc right in the center - and it would most likely have burned the circuit board at both leads like mine did. It was $8 shipped from Digi-Key, and took maybe 5 minutes to replace and repair the burnt pads on the board. Sure beats $500 for the replacement module if that's your issue.

That top board with the 5 pin connector is pretty much just a power filter/regulator, so anything that burns out on it is easily sourced and replaced. The real control works (with the 16 pin connector) are below that circuit board encased in potting goop.

Old 06-24-12, 04:50 PM
Somewhere on this board, there is a thread dealing with this. Like Matt said the problem is usually a small component that you can repair yourself without needing a new $$$ motor. Do a search before you buy a new motor.

Old 06-27-12, 06:34 PM
Update

After going round and round with manufacturer about my issue. They finally hooked me up with a local(sort of) distributor. He was able to find the correct part number for the module, but wouldn't sell it to me directly. (Still have no idea what specific program it needs) After finding the average price is well over $400, I decided to show the board to the smartest I&C technician at work. He recommended I try a repair of the burned out sections on the board. Long story short, I jumpered out the 2 burned up sections with some 14awg...low and behold...it worked. Fingers crossed for the up-coming heat wave.
Take that York!

Old 06-27-12, 07:05 PM
its not york, it is regal beloit ....... that is the motor and module manufacturer. York is just furnace manufacturer that uses that motor.