Central AC and Heating House - Humming

Old 06-23-12, 09:30 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Central AC and Heating House - Humming

We have a two story house and have 2 zone heating/AC Forced Air System. Two AC is outside and heating system is one in basement for 1st floor and one in Attic for 2nd floor. Right before winter ended we noticed that the heating as not picking up and there was humming sound in the unit which is in attic. Now when I turn on the AC again those humming sound started. It hums for quiet some time and starts the AC . Then after some minutes it starts humming again.
I know AC is working fine as when there is no humming sound it gives cool air. SO I believe the air which circulates through the unit on the attic is humming and not letting the AC throw cool air.
what is that I can do to check where the problem is?

Old 06-24-12, 12:26 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
s2Kfixit,

It sounds like your fan motor in yourair handler is not coming on all of the time. Possibly bad fan relay. Turn the t-stat to fan on and listen for the hum. You may also have a run capacitor going bad, not allowing the fan to start rotating everytime.

Old 06-24-12, 07:53 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the response. I turned the t-stat to fan and you are right it does he same thing, hums for quiet some time and then fan turns on. Said that I have Lennox 80UHG Series GAS Furnace and see the humming noice video IMG 0356 - YouTube when I put the t-stat on fan.
Now said that where should I start and how. I am a total novoice when it comes to heating/cooling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: