Replaced capacitor AC stops running

Old 06-24-12, 12:39 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replaced capacitor AC stops running

My 12 yr-old York AC unit stopped working completely about a week ago, the Honeywell Thermostat just blinked "cool on" and nothing was turning on. I replaced the capacitor with the exact same brand and model number. It worked great for a few days, then stopped working again. The Honeywell Thermostat just blinked "cool on" and nothing was turning on. I opened the AC unit up and switched the wires on HERM and FAN to different connectors on the same terminals. The AC worked great for 5 days and the same thing happened, "coo on" flashing and nothing working. I again opened up the AC unit and swapped the connections on the same terminals and it is working again. Please Help!

thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-12, 12:48 PM
I
PS. The unit is getting power the breaker is not tripping and there are no fuses in the disconnect AND it is on at the disconnect.

Old 06-24-12, 01:40 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Flashing usually means that the stat is in 5 min delay.... Switching the leads on the capacitor could damage your condenser fan or compressor. Follow the wiring diagram on electrical compartment and install the wires to the correct terminals.

Old 06-24-12, 02:33 PM
I
I'm only switching the wires to the open connections on the same HERM and FAN terminals, not back and forth to the HERM and FAN.

Old 06-24-12, 02:37 PM
OK, that is not doing anything and from what you are describing the stat is in 5 min delay on break mode that is keeping the unit from short cycling. Next time you notice this just wait at least 5 min. to see if that is what it is that is casuing the unit to not start.

Old 06-24-12, 02:52 PM
I
I have waited about 30 minutes watching the temp rise on the thermostat. I just would not run

Old 06-24-12, 02:53 PM
is the contactor pulled in in the outdoor unit? does the indoor fan run?

Old 06-24-12, 03:00 PM
I
at the moment everything is running now since I disconnected and reconnected the capacitor. But when it stops, nothing works

Old 06-24-12, 03:07 PM
when it is stopped you need to see if the contactor is pulled in. Moving those wires will have NO effect to make the system start working. Make sure all connections are tight at the contactor and capacitor.

Old 06-24-12, 03:47 PM
I
That is what I really don't understand. When it stops working, all of the connections to the capacitor are tight. Then I turn off the breaker and turn the disconnect to off and I pull the wires off the capacitor and reconnect it and it works fine.

Old 06-25-12, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If you have enough wire, clip off the push on connectors & install new ones. Capacitors are cheap & it's not unheard of to get a weak one whose capacitance drops off as it gets warm. I prefer to use 440 volt capacitors anytime I replace one.

Old 06-25-12, 07:01 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Follow Grady's advice about replacing the push-on ends of the wires if at all possible. If these connections get too hot they lose the ability to tightly make the connection. Also, they can develop corrosion that will cause a poor connection. They should be a bit difficult to push on or pull off. Easy means they need to be replaced. Sometimes you can CAREFULLY squeeze the sides of the clips with a pair of pliers to tighten them but if they have been overheated all bets are off.

Old 06-28-12, 07:54 AM
I
I'll try installing new push-on's, but the ones on there now are still quite snug. I have to give them a good pull to get them off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: