Central air question

Old 06-29-12, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central air question

Hi I had a question about central air blowing cool but not cold air. My expansion valve recently broke and had to get it replaced so a AC tech came out. The air was blowing about 80 degrees and when he replaced it, it went down to 75 degrees. I accepted this because thats as cold as its always been. I live in tx and it was a 107 degrees the other day. My furnace and coil are in my attic, my builder told me if i wanted more closet space he could put it in the attic. My question is, will this cause the air to blow warmer than if the furnace was in the actual house? Also if this is the case what can I do to fix it besides moving the furnace in the house, maybe get an attic fan? My neighbors air blows in the 50 degree range. Also I have a york compressor hooked to a suntherm furnace. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-12, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Will it blow slightly warmer.....probably.

Should it be blowing 75 degrees...heck no.

I'm not familiar with your equipment but the thing you should have is about a 17-20 degree difference between the air being pulled in (return) and the air being blown out (supply). If your house temp is set to 78 degrees then your cold air should be about 58-60 degrees

You have another problem somewhere. If this is a heat pump with aux electric heat strips...they could be coming on and counteracting the cooling.

Pro's will be around.............

Old 06-29-12, 09:52 AM
Your AC has a problem. I live in tx too, our temp got to 105 the other day, my cool air temp is around 60 with room temp set at 78 as mentioned by Gunguy45.
My air handler is in the attic. You need to call another tech to check it out.

Old 06-29-12, 12:05 PM
yes it has a heat pump with heat strips. Its an all electric house.