A/C turns off waaaay after thermostat 'clicks' off

Old 06-30-12, 09:00 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C turns off waaaay after thermostat 'clicks' off

My a/c, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to turn off correctly. It was recently replaced with a new unit ('thingy' that you put your air filter in). Since then, whenever the temperature in the apartment reaches the set amount, the thermostat makes a click sound and the 'snowflake' icon goes away. In the past, at this point the a/c unit would shut off until the thermostat 'clicked' on again. But now, it stays on for a random undetermined period of time after that off 'click'. Please help me with ideas as to what this could be.

On an unrelated matter, I am thinking of replacing my current thermostat with a Nest product and have an unused wire behind the thermostat's plate. It's jacket is blue in color and is not connected like the others are (R, RC, G, Y, W). How can I go about determining what that wire is (other than following it back to its hard to reach origin)? How can I tell if I have a high voltage setup, which is not compatible with Nest products.

Thank you for your assistance with my noobish questions. This website is a great place for learning and I hope to do just that!

P.S. I am available to take pictures of anything you guys need to help figure this out!

Old 06-30-12, 11:01 PM
Received 50 Votes on 44 Posts
Remove the t-stat and disconnect + twist wires R, G & Y together. (label first)

Let the system run for 10-15 minutes, then untwist the wires.

If the a/c shut off immediately, replace the t-stat; otherwise, call the installer back*.

*Either a relay/contactor is sticking or the new unit has a blower off delay

Old 07-01-12, 04:59 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
is sounds like a blower delay...............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: