FRUSTATION!- What is the Life Expectency of an AC Evaporator Coil???!

Old 07-03-12, 06:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FRUSTATION!- What is the Life Expectency of an AC Evaporator Coil???!

An AC Repairman just left my house and told me I need to replace the COIL in the air handler in my attic.My entire system is barely 6 years old and was a new installation in a new home.

It is rusted out and there is lots of oil on the bottom the unit and on the wood block holding it over the drip pan and in the ddrip pan itself from repeated rechargings. I have 2 split AC only systems, the condensers are on the ground, and the 2 air handlers are in the attic. I have 2 Goodman 4 ton units, and they've been losing R-22 for the past 2 years. MY local expert repairman has been coming over and telling me that there must be a leak in the lines buried in the wall, yet in the 4 previous visits, he never looking inside the air handlers. ONe time he was about to, but his sniffer was dead.

They proposed to come over and "lock down" or seperate all 3 sections on each of the units and pump them up to 100lbs, then come back and see where the pressure loss was from. They wanted over $1k to do this diagnosis. THey never proposed using dye, and like I said, they never visually inspected inside the air handlers.

My question is this: Why would a coil rust out in less than 6 years? It isivery frustrating to have a 'new system' and see a rust coated coil behind the green door. Isnt the condensation supposed to run off it? Is it possbilu the way it was installed?

I'm very upset, not only at the previous service men for not bothering to look, and now I am told that it is quite difficult to change the coil, and that I mingt as well change out the whole air handler.

Can someone who knows something tell me how this can happen? Is it a matter of poor quality equipment, or improper installation? Or just MORE BAD LUCK?

Thanks for lettingmevent. ANd my darn space bar sticks, too!

Old 07-03-12, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
GOODMAN is your answer. An airhandler that uses an all alumminum coil would be much beter. Buy Goodman get goodman junk. Have your tech check the warranty on the coil (part only warranty) though or you can probably check through goodmans website.

Old 07-03-12, 07:48 PM
Received 50 Votes on 44 Posts

Goodman switched to all aluminum (Coils) - probably one of the first manufacturers to do it. I wouldn't hesitate to get a goodman system properly installed; the parts are supposed to be cheaper and the warranty is great.

Can someone who knows something tell me how this can happen? Is it a matter of poor quality equipment, or improper installation? Or just MORE BAD LUCK?
Troubling Pinhole Leaks in Evaporator Coils Cause Corrosion Issues

Copper and aluminum react with eachother when exposed to volatile compounds offgassed by carpets, furniture, paint, etc.

Today's houses are tight, more VOCs than ever are introduced into the indoor air and the copper used today probably isn't the greatest quality.

Old 07-03-12, 10:26 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Like said Goodman is low end equipment. Low end equipment usely comes with a low end install. So it could be the coil or it could be a duct work issue that is not letting the cold air down the duct causing the moisture on the coil. It's time to find another HVAC company

Old 07-04-12, 06:29 AM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
For what it's worth, Lennox has had some problems too. About 10 years ago I saw a nice big 2 story home with two systems where within the first 5 years, both evap coils had to be replaced due to refrigerant leaks. I chalk it up to builder grade equipment that every manufacturer makes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: