A/C is tripping breaker

Old 07-03-12, 06:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C is tripping breaker

After a recent VA storm, power was out for 3 days. Prior to storm, A/C was fine and now every time it tries to turn on, it trips the breaker. Before calling a tech out, I want to make sure there isn't a simple fix. Ideas?

Old 07-04-12, 06:12 AM
Received 106 Votes on 94 Posts
I had a similar situation a few years back. In my case, my A-C condensing unit was pretty old. The condensing unit, with compressor, was running when the power went out, tried to come back, went out, tried again to come back and went out again; all within 4 or 5 seconds. The end result was that after the power was fully restored, the breaker would trip when the A-C tried to come on. The compressor was locked up. Call a HVAC guy ASAP and get a diagnosis and good luck!

Old 07-04-12, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
check for burnt or shorted wires in the a/c unit. Check for a swollen capacitor.

Old 07-07-12, 01:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So tech guys came out from two different companies. They both said the storm fried the compressor, one said, " the compressor is grounded." One company said the entire unit needs to be replaced because there is now acid in the system and if just the compressor is replaced, it will be difficult for the acid to be filtered out and the unit will struggle to run properly. I know nothing about ac issues, so does this make sense? Oh and they said it was not the capacitor.

Old 07-07-12, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
how old is the unit? It may make more sense to upgrade vs replacing a compressor. I would contact your insurance company also since it happened after a storm. Did you have any other appliances go out?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: