Hail Damage to AC?

Old 07-04-12, 04:39 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hail Damage to AC?

I am selling my home. Buyer claims possible hail damage to the external AC unit and wants me to file a claim with my insurance company. The AC has been serviced and checked by a repairman who says it is working fine. However the buyer is concerned with the possible external damage to the casing of the unit. Below is a picture. What is the cause of the various holes in the dark gray material?

Old 07-04-12, 04:48 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
That could be hail, sticks or stones from the lawn mower, almost anything.
I would suggest that if the service guy checked it recently, and is licensed, provide the buyer with the written note indicating it is good to go.
It doesn't look really all that damaged other then some of the cooling fins are bent a bit.

Old 07-04-12, 04:57 AM
D
Buyer insists on an insurance adjuster and will not accept any other type of inspection.

Old 07-04-12, 05:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I think the buyer is pushing for a new condenser. You can call your insurance man but I doubt they'll do anything if the unit is working fine..... but maybe that would be enough to satisfy the buyer.

Old 07-04-12, 05:00 AM
N
They just want a new A/C unit.
I would hate to go through insurance as you'll be paying for it years down the road. Worst comes to worse, replace it, and roll the cost back into the cost of the house.

This is just my thoughts however.

Old 07-04-12, 05:24 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
if it is working ok then it is what it is.... Dont be bullied into an insurance claim. Insurance will not cover it if you don't know when it happened or if it was too long ago. Talk to your realtor and ask them what to do. Give buyer $500 towards a new a/c?

Old 07-04-12, 06:18 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Buyer insists on an insurance adjuster and will not accept any other type of inspection.
How bad do you need this buyer? Yes, he wants a new condensing unit. What else does he want replaced?

Old 07-04-12, 06:26 AM
N
How bad do you need this buyer?
I was thinking the very same thought, but after carrying two homes for 6 months, I know how bad it can get.

On a side note, assuming the buyer is not being a jerk, they may be looking to have it replaced so that they don't get stuck a few months to a year down the road. The cost of a new unit subtracted from the house price is all good, but if they don't have the extra $$ for the replacement unit, that savings is nothing to them ($500 of a $200k+ home).
If they are not being a jerk about it (really have another description in my mind, but can't type it here), I would suggest offering to replace it, but roll the extra cost into the sales price. That way they won't feel the pain of the extra cost, and if you do it on an account or payment term, you won't notice it when you get the check for the house and pay it off.

Old 07-04-12, 06:31 AM
A new unit properly installed is more than a few thousand dollars... I know I would not be willing to replace it and roll it into the price of the house. If they want that they can do that on their end and borrow extra money. A replacement dry shipped R22 unit is still going to be more than a thousand installed.... Look on C-list for used a/c and repair guys you may get lucky. They also make combs for those fins.... I wouldnt go through that hassle but they do make them.

Old 07-04-12, 06:35 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
If this is a buyer looking to badger and beat you down on every little item that isn't brand new, it might be worth offering the buyer a warranty. Most realtors have access to numerous warranty companys. It may be worth a try before you shell out hard cash to replace a good condensing unit.

Old 07-04-12, 06:54 AM
D
I see no reason to repair a unit that is working fine. I don't want to file a claim because, in my opinion, the wear on the ac and fence was probably done over a period of years, and I have only had this insurance company for a few months. I consider it to be normal wear. The 2 neighbors units look pretty much the same condition. I would like to try to work something out with buyer, but in my opinion, he is being very stubborn and unreasonable. He hasn't even examined the roof, and also wants me to file a claim on the roof also. The contract already has a $300 warranty for the buyer.

Old 07-04-12, 07:04 AM
N
hvactechfw,
That is pretty much what it would cost here. Wasn't sure there as things tend to be a fair bit cheaper south of the border.

That being said (again assuming the buyers are picking on everything) they may be trying to get a new unit rolled into the house because of borrowing issues.
I know here at least, since the 07-08, it has become really tough to borrow beyond the price tag of the house for items that need to be fixed.

Again, if it was me, and the buyers were not picking at everything, I'd counter asking price + fix/replace of the A/C unit as it is currently functional. That way their concerns are satisfied and it's not costing me extra to fix something that isn't broken.

Old 07-04-12, 07:05 AM
then that would be my response to him. You are getting a warranty........ Apparently he also does not know what insurance fraud is.

Old 07-04-12, 07:39 AM
D
Yes, in my opinion it would be insurance fraud for me to file a claim when I do not think there was any damage. Several neighbors and 2 insurance agents have said there was no hail damage in my subdivision. In my opinion, the fence and AC have normal wear from years of use and weathering, and they are in better than average condition for their age (7.5 years).

Old 07-04-12, 08:24 AM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is number against number, do not put any personal feeling in there. Just calculate, can you find another buyer in a month or two, if not, give them what they want and move on, At buyer's side they probably spent a few hundred $ inspection fee already plus all other efforts, so there is no winner here if the contract get terminated. The best way to handle this is offer them some cash as mentioned by havctechfw, get the deal closed ASAP, do not fix the unit, that will take more time (which is your lost) and may creat more issues (bad brand, not cold enough, does not match .., etc..) My wife is a realtor in TX for 20 years, we deal with this type of issues every month. So you are not the first one to have this problem. this is the way it works, don't feel bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: