A/C Unit Capacitor question...

Old 07-05-12, 05:05 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Unit Capacitor question...

Hello everyone,

I have received a lot of helpful information from reading these forums, but this is my first time asking a question.

I have determined that the capacitor has gone bad in my a/c unit, through reading various post. The problem is, i can find any info on the capacitor that was in there. The number doesn't come up in any searches. I feel like I have found one i could replace it with, but wanted to double check with anyone on here if I am correct. I have included a pic of the capacitor below, and a link to the one i believe would replace it. Could anyone confirm?

Old one - http://studentpages.scad.edu/~pkenne.../capacitor.JPG
Replacement? - GE Capacitor Oval 25/5 uf 370 volt Z97F9675 97F9675

I had someone come out and fix the fan in the furnace underneath the house, because it wasn't blowing the air around. Before that, we hadn't had a/c yet this year. Then 3 days later, this happens. Hoping this will save me for paying the hvac guy more money.

Again, thank you everyone for all the help I have read on here in the past, and in advance for helping out this time.

-Patrick

Last edited by GadlenPK; 07-05-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 05:49 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The microfarad ratings must match those original.

The voltage rating must meet or exceed that of the original .

So, you need a 25 uf (compressor side) / 5uf (fan) 370vac+ dual capacitor.

The terminals should be labelled C, F, H.

Move one wire over at a time to the new one, carefully observing the labels.

Old 07-05-12, 06:15 PM
G
Ok, cool. Thank you for the response. That one appears to match then. The one thing I was worried about was that mine said 60hz and the one i was looking to get said 50/60hz. Didn't know if the difference mattered...

Old 07-12-12, 01:59 PM
You can go up on the voltage to 440 volts, it just has more insulation.

I always carried 440 volt capacitors.

By the way if they don't have a bleeder resistor on them they can retain a lot of voltage after the power has been cut off.

With the breaker power off; use an insulated screw driver to short across the terminals to discharge them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: