Trane XB1000 Blowing Circuit

Old 07-10-12, 09:31 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XB1000 Blowing Circuit

This past week my Trane central air conditioner (XB1000 TTB030C100A2)stopped working. I went to my electrical pannel and the 30 Amp breaker was tripped. I reset the breaker and it could not hold a load for the air conditioner and imediately tripped again. I went to the pannel on the air conditioner and noticed two things. First was that I white wire coming in from my disconect was exposed and second was that the orange wire on the top of the capacitor was burned and disconnected. I repaired the incoming power wire and cut back the orange wire and reconnected it to the capacitor and the breaker would still not hold a load. I checked my fuses and both tested fine. I then replaced the breaker in the my electrical pannel and was able to get the unit to have 240v come into the bottom of the contactor and the fan turned on. I then tested at the top of the contacter and had 120v and had 140v at the top of the capictor. The compresor tried to "kick on" multiple times and finally did and then imediately tripped the breaker. It seems as if the compressor is not getting enough volts from the capictor and not thus not allowing it to engague and when it does engague it draws too many amps and thus trips the breaker. Should I have 240 v at the top of the capictor and is this the component that is causing the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Travis

Old 07-10-12, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
replace the capacitor especially if the plastic below the terminals melted at all.

Old 07-11-12, 06:41 AM
T
The spay connector on the orange wire that was coming out of the capacitor was melted and I had to replace it.

What is the correct voltage that should be coming out of the capacitor to the compressor?

Is there a prefered capacitor (Trane) that I sould replace it with or one that has the same rating as the one that is currently installed in the unit?

Thanks for the assistance!

Travis

Old 07-11-12, 07:46 AM
You don't want to check voltage out of the capacitor. You do want to replace the capacitor with the same specs as the old one. Make sure you put the wires back on the correct terminal. Take the old one to a grainier store or motor shop. They will get you the correct one.

Old 07-11-12, 09:08 AM
T
Do you beleive that it sounds like the compressor is not getting enough voltage from the capacitor and thus not being able to "kick in" and then when it does it draws too much amperage and then blows the circuit?

Is that a common failure with capacitors?

Thanks for the help!

Travis

Old 07-11-12, 03:08 PM
Just replace the capacitor. They are cheap!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: