Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Best air conditioner for a hairdresser`s salon (35 sq meters or 376.736 sq feet)

Best air conditioner for a hairdresser`s salon (35 sq meters or 376.736 sq feet)

Old 07-11-12, 02:51 AM
Smile Best air conditioner for a hairdresser`s salon (35 sq meters or 376.736 sq feet)

Hello!

I hope very much that you will help me to decide which air conditioner should I look for.

My needs are very simple, just to cool down salon (35 mē) when it becomes really hot there. I do not need a fancy one. Just reliable and one with low energy consumption.

If you need any other details let me know.

Best regards,
ShowMeYourSkill

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-12, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
The first consideration is having electrical service to power the air conditioner. It is best if it is on it's own circuit with nothing else since they pull a lot of current when starting. A window unit will probably be the least expensive but they are heavy and can be a pain to get into the window. More user friendly are portable floor models that have hoses to a window. The type that has two hoses (in and out) to the window work best but they are more rare and more expensive. Most common are single hose types but since they are always blowing air out they suck air into the room around the door, window and electrical outlets. So, even though the single hose AC is blowing cold air into the room it is sucking in hot air so the net result is reduced cooling.

Old 07-11-12, 09:08 AM
Thank you, Pilot Dane, for clarification!

I just want to ask one more question: how powerful it should be, I do not want it to be an "overkill".

Old 07-11-12, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
A lot depends on your climate, building, how many people in the room and how much equipment (hair dryers, bright lights...) is also in the room. If the building is poorly insulated you need more capacity. You need extra capacity to remove the humidity from the air if you do a lot of hair washing & drying and don't forget extra capacity to offset the heat from the hair dryers and other equipment.

This page has guidelines to help you pick the size. Pay particular attention to the adjustments at the bottom of the page.

Old 07-11-12, 05:56 PM
get something that has a good filtration type system; being in a hair salon I have seen a lot of plugged evaporators. At the very least clean the filter once a week.