Trane XL80 - Outside Condenser fan not turning off

Old 07-12-12, 07:04 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XL80 - Outside Condenser fan not turning off

2 nights ago, I woke up at 3 am to find the house frigid.

When I checked the digital thermostat, the temperature was set to 76 degrees, but the current temp was at 71. Confused, I turned off the air conditioning from the thermostat (heard the blower fan go off) but continue to hear the outside condenser fan. I ended up turning off the circuit breaker from the main panel.

Today, I turned the system back on and everything seems to work, except when I turn off the AC from the thermostat, the condenser fan will not turn off again.

Is there a simple solution I can troubleshoot before calling an AC technician?

Thanks

Old 07-12-12, 07:13 AM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Does your blower fan turn off automatically at T-stat set temp ?

Old 07-12-12, 04:35 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hi clocert-

thanks for the reply.

yes, thermostat seems to have full control over furnace blower fan.

i did some additional searching and found others having trouble with contactor (although my case seems somewhat unique than others in that my thermostat was not resolving set temp vs. current temp at the time of the problem)

so i took the cover panel off on the condenser and used compressed air to blow out all kinds of junk, including some that looked like a fine particle falling out of the contactor area.

since then, everything seems to be back to normal, including thermostat following set temp. maybe my thermostat is going bad? considering it is a honeywell unit that is less than 3 years old, is that a reasonable guess?

Old 07-12-12, 07:11 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It is most likely the contactor at fault. I would replace it..... they are cheap.

Old 07-12-12, 08:31 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Yes, should be the contactor as mentioned by hvactechfw. May be just a little dirt in there which you blowed away by using the compressed air. The honeywell T-stat should last more than 3 years, I say at least 6 may be 10 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: