the cold air seems to be blowing through the OUTDOOR unit, inside won't cool

Old 07-14-12, 12:56 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the cold air seems to be blowing through the OUTDOOR unit, inside won't cool

I checked the wiring on the thermostat, it's correct. Don't know enough to know if something is wired incorrectly inside the unit. The outdoor insulted pipe does NOT get cold when the unit is on. The fans run. The run capacitor tests fine. How do I know if the compressor is running? The unit fires up and seems to make all the proper noises. I have 2 units. The one next it runs fine - the air blowing through it's outdoor unit is warm and the large insulated pipe is cold with condensation. The non-working unit is blowing COLD air outside and large pipe is warm. WTH? The coils on the outside unit are clean. Not sure how the clean the coil on the inside unit. Not sure if that's the problem. I've read the threads and don't see anyone having this issue. I'm at a loss. If it matters ... this is the unit that runs the upstairs and isn't used all that often - although I do turn the fan on to keep the cool basement air flowing upstairs. Girl on a budget here. I'm pretty handy but this is a bit over my head.

Old 07-14-12, 01:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is this a heat pump or air conditioner? What made you check the thermostat wiring? Have you just installed a new thermostat?

Old 07-14-12, 01:28 PM
A
it's an AC. It's not a heat pump - which is a relief because I just learned about reversing valves and that had giant dollar signs written all over it. I checked the themostat because it was replaced last year. The heat works, the fan works ... the wires appear correct according to the diagram.

Old 07-14-12, 03:32 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
is the capacitor in the outdoor unit swelled on top?

Old 07-20-12, 07:11 AM
A
No. The capacitor was fine. Turns out it was just low on Freon. Real low. A friend filled it and will run a dye test to find the leak. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: