One piece air conditioner old as hell need help

Old 07-14-12, 05:46 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question One piece air conditioner old as hell need help

Hello there its my first post here so i have this very old air conditioner York which i've found in my garage i wanted to fix it and use it in my basement so the problem is its blow a very cold air but only for like 5-10mins then it blows normal air for about 15 mins then blows cold air again .. and stays like that , a guy came to check if it needs freon but he told me it doesn't and he said he dont know how to fix that anyway here is some pics
inside
inside2
back
front
i dont know anything about air conditioners but if it might be a simple way to fix that or somthing it would be nice
and can some one tell me what is this here in the red circle which led to this here looks like bullet coz i think here is the problem lol ... thanks for your time excuse my bad English .

Old 07-14-12, 07:42 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
What you have is a single duct portable air conditioner. It isn't all that old since it has an electronic control board. The item circled in red is a plug/socket connection on the control board and the bullet-shaped object is the electronic temperature sensor. The second cable from the sensor is probably going to a similar sensor on the backside of the evaporator (cooling) coil.

It cycles that way for any of a number of reasons and one of the most likely is that the cool air being discharged is immediately sucked back into the inlet allowing the evaporator coil to drop significantly in temperature and signalling the control to turn off the compressor. If you can arrange a baffle (cardboard often works although it is ugly) to prevent this "short circuiting" of the air then it might help immensely.

Down side is that the single duct model uses conditioned room air for cooling the unit and then exhausts it through the duct and out the window. This causes a negative air pressure in the room and outside hot and humid air will enter through any little crack or opening defeating much of the cooling capacity of the unit. I only recommend two-duct models and even then it is really necessary to insulate the ducts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: