Question about window units

Old 07-15-12, 07:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about window units

My compressor was tested and the concensus is that its dead. I need a temp fix right now cause I cant afford the bill it will cost me right now. So Im going to buy a window unit that cools ...so it says 900 square feet.
My question is it wise to to run the fan on the thermostat? Cool off but fan on?

Old 07-16-12, 08:59 AM
A room A/C combined with a floor sized fan can cool a large area.

There are a lot of walls and a kitchen cupboard area,. so I will cut the actual area lower to 650-sq ft., I use a Half Ton window A/C with a floor type fan to circulate the air through all the rooms & back to the A/C; that would be 1300-sq. ft. per ton in a 1937 home with a lot of windows. Eight foot ceilings or 5200-cu.ft of air to remove the latent & sensible heat from.

Another Half Ton upstairs, they both cool the areas perfectly...they do the cooling job to perfection.

My summer time, all electric home's Record Setting Hot June conditions here in SW WI for a mere $46.295 used; & some of that was due to a electric hog large compressor dehumidifier in the basement.

Old 07-16-12, 04:36 PM
C
Is it wise to turn on the thermostat to just fan though? or will i lose coolness cause it distributes it through the house? or close off vents that i dont use?

or should i be using the ceiling fans?

Last edited by cichy1012; 07-16-12 at 05:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: