AC cuts off after half hour, requires heat turned on to get AC to turn on

Old 07-17-12, 04:25 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC cuts off after half hour, requires heat turned on to get AC to turn on

Okay, the AC or furnace might be about to call it quits, or it just might be a small issue (my hope). I think it might be a furnace blower issue, but I'm not sure.

So I noticed it was getting warmer, but my furnace was still running. I go outside, see the AC isn't running. I turn the furnace off and on, nothing happens. I change furnace to heat, and get that going for a few moments, then I switch it back to cool and the AC kicks on. I have had to do this twice, and both times this has made the AC come back on. So would this most likely be a furnace issue, like the blower?

Any suggestions on what I might be able to look at and attempt before I call someone to look at my system?

Old 07-17-12, 05:34 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Its definately not the blower. However, I do suspect the problem is in your furnace. The circuit board may be malfunctioning. instead of going to heat, next time go to the furnace, turn it off, wait 3 minutes, then turn it back on. I suspect you are losing 24volts when the ac goes off. And that 24 volts comes right from Y and C on the circuit board in the furnace. I suspect C to be the problem. Dont ask why. But if you have a way to check voltage, check it.

Old 07-17-12, 05:40 PM
A
Okay I will give it a check, I do have a voltage checker.

So far the air has been blowing for 2 straight hours

Old 07-18-12, 08:04 AM
A
Oddly enough, I haven't had any issues with this since I got it running for the second time. It has been on for over 17 hours turning off and on on its own!

Old 07-26-12, 04:35 PM
A
hen turn it back on. I suspect you are losing 24volts when the ac goes off. And that 24 volts comes right from Y and C on the circuit board in the furnace. I suspect C to be the problem. Dont ask why. But if you have a way to check voltage, check it.

Okay, so I'm having issues again, if this is the case, that I'm not getting enough volts at one of those places, does that just mean I need to replace the board?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: