Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Central A/C unit (outside unit) stops running in extreme heat, doesnt trip break

Central A/C unit (outside unit) stops running in extreme heat, doesnt trip break

Old 07-17-12, 03:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My outside AC unit doesnt start back up after shutting itself off during what seems to be a normal cycle. The system calls for a 35amp breaker, actually have a 40amp breaker in the box. But the breaker is not tripping off. However, when this scenario happens, (which is frequently right now because the heat is about 100 every day) if I manually shut off the breaker and turn it back on the unit starts up and seems to run fine.
The other day the unit shut off and wouldnt restart and I found that the lines going to the outside unit were frozen, so I shut off the unit until all the ice was gone and the unit ran fine. That was the first time it wouldnt restart on. its own.

unit is American Standard Inc. Allegiance 10 . made in 1997

Any help would be appreciated to get this unit to run properly. I did replace the breaker.

Old 07-17-12, 04:40 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low on freon equals ice.
Blower motor not working equals ice
dirty filter equals ice.
Also the ice starts inside and slowly works its way out, so if you see ice on the lines, you better believe that the inside coil is also covered in a massive layer of ice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: