GE ECM Motor Magnet Delamination


  #1  
Old 07-21-12, 10:33 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE ECM Motor Magnet Delamination

The permanent magnet mounted on the rotor of my ECM 2.3 3/4hp motor delaminated and a email to Genteq returned a "This is not a serviceable fail mode". I have read the other ECM threads here and saw mention of magnets separating from the rotor but I couldn't find anything as to whether this is actually repairable, and what adhesive could be used to fix it reliably. All the ferrite structural adhesives I have looked such as Loctite or Permabond are hard to find and usually are special order from vendors showing up on google.

My question/s
Is this fixable if care is taken to remove old adhesive and apply new?
What adhesive is best for this one off thing and where can I get it easily?
Is this a symptom of some other problem with perhaps the control module?
Can I forget the whole thing and buy a X13 1hp motor and just replace the whole thing.

My unit is five years old and 3 weeks out of warranty. AC guy said it would be $1200 to replace if he did it and $1000 if he just gave me the parts.

Thank you,
Matt
 
  #2  
Old 07-22-12, 01:17 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,017
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It may be difficult to get an answer for that question. Most techs will simply replace the motor rather than risk a repair and callback.

ECM's are not bulletproof as some believe. They are often touted as the best thing since sliced bread, but they do have some drawbacks, especially price.
 
  #3  
Old 08-02-12, 08:24 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Success!

Just to let everyone who is interested know. I was able to reattach the magnet to the center rotor using Loctite 392 and Loctite Activator 7387. Both are obtained from Amazon for about $60. Actually mounting the magnet required some wood shims the thickness of popsicle sticks to act as spacers (use popsicle sticks if you have them or make something from a rather strong wood like maple). These were also used to fine tune the spacing on either side of the magnet once everything was down and together. You need the leverage because once the magnet sucks to the rotor it is pretty hard to move. Along the axial plane you can use a small block of wood to tap the magnet into position.

You don't have to use the activator but that means you would have to bake the rotor to cure the adhesive. I didn't want to ruin the bearings sticking them in oven. Activator is cheap insurance. I also didn't coat both surfaces with activator although you could. The 20-60 second fixture time scared me but it ended up both not taking long and the fixture time being in the neighborhood of 2 minutes with only one surface with activator.

Reassembled the motor today and fired up the AC. It works like a charm. Wait the 72 hours recommended before service loads applied to the motor.

Before all this I cleaned up the old glue and cleaned all surfaces with acetone just to be safe. I'm assuming you all with know that you need to at least clean up the old glue to get good mating surfaces.

Moral of the story.....DIY and don't let yourself getted talked into a $1200 motor too easily. Between the board fix located on other forums and this one should be pretty easily to restore these motors.

Good Luck!
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: