AC window unit Question

Old 07-22-12, 08:13 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC window unit Question

The compressor on my window unit stopped working.I checked the overload switch and it is good.I checked the compressor and it is good.I have checked the temp control switch and it is good.I have checked the selector high,low,economy,fan switch and it is good.The only thing left is a large capacitor I can only assume this is the problem.My question is there a way to check the capacitor with a multi meter?Have I missed something else?I'm not a hvac guy but I am handy with a meter.I don't see a serv port for refrigerant and after reading the sticky above probably wouldn't try to charge it myself anyhow.I did not see any press switch for the freon charge so I can only assume there isn't one.I do have the print for the wiring and it do not show one.Any ideas?Is this even worth trying to fix?Thank you for your time.The fan does work in all the positions that it should.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-12, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You can't really check a cap with a simple multimeter unless it has that function. Cheaper ones (and even expensive ones) may not have it. Some electrical and HVAC supply stores may do it for you. Probably a motor shop as well.

Normally a visual inspection will indicate a problem. Leaky oil, bulged top or bottom or even the case if it's oval, lots of corrosion...etc.

Are you getting a humming sound at all? If you know how to use the meter....you should be able to trace power from cord to component to component.

Depending on the specs...you might find a cap for around $25 in a store...possibly cheaper online.

Old 07-22-12, 08:56 AM
S
I've just been checking for continuity,I'll be checking for power next.No sound at all from the compressor but the windings are good.

Old 07-24-12, 10:19 AM
S
Checked for power at the compressor and found it.Hit compressor with hammer and it came to life.Time for new window unit,20 years isn't too bad but I was hoping it was just a bad switch.Thank you for your help.

Old 07-24-12, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It might be just loose connections...since you didn't even hear humming?

Old 08-05-12, 02:09 PM
Checked for power at the compressor and found it.Hit compressor with hammer and it came to life.Time for new window unit,20 years isn't too bad but I was hoping it was just a bad switch.Thank you for your help.
That blow may have reset the compressor's high-temp limit-switch.