Bryant A/C unit keeps tripping breaker...

Old 07-22-12, 11:33 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bryant A/C unit keeps tripping breaker...

I have two units at my place and about a week ago, both units quit working! The upstairs unit (smaller unit) was a simple fix requiring a new capacitor (bulged up on top). The downstairs unit (larger unit) did not show any signs of a capacitor problem and I noticed the breaker had been tripped. I reset the breaker and it would try to fire on (compressor makes loud buzzing sound and fan would turn). The sounds it was making did not sound right, so I shut it down. My girlfriend turned the A/C unit on after I had told her not to and the breaker tripped again, but this time, when I reset it, nothing would happen. I took a closer look outside and tried to manually engage the contactor (depress the plunger) and it sparked tripping the breaker once again. I swapped out the contactor, but the same thing would happen; spark and breaker tripped. Could it possibly be a seized up compressor and if so, could I just replace that component or possibly have it worked on locally? I believe the compressor is a Copeland CR42K6-PFV-130 with the A/C unit being a Bryant 561cj030-e. The fan spins and works just fine (tested on a work bench). Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-22-12, 01:11 PM
J
Sounds like a shorted compressor. Use a meter and measure resistance from compressor terminals to ground. Should be open.

Old 07-22-12, 01:37 PM
H
Jim...thanks for the response. Using a voltmeter, how would I go about doing this? I'm not very technical when it comes to using one of these guys...thanks!

Old 07-22-12, 07:28 PM
E
Turn power off. Get access to the compressor, remember which wire goes where and take the wires off the compressor. Now with the volt meter, take one pin and touch it to any copper, but makes sure it touches the copper by scratching it and put the other lead onto any terminal on the compressor. With the volt meter set to condinuity (when you touch the two leads together you hear it beep) and touch one terminal with one lead and copper with the other lead, if you hear a beep the compressor is dead. Try each terminal.

Old 08-19-12, 07:17 PM
M
Unhappy A/C unit also keeps tripping breaker...

We have an a/c repair company coming out in the morning but we are also experiencing a tripped breaker. We came home from being out this afternoon and it was 88 in the house. The breaker was tripped. Shut the whole unit off and waited about 30 minutes and started it up. It worked fine and within a few hours, it was 79 inside. It shut off by itself and when it started up again, it tripped the breaker again. The only way to get it to NOT trip the breaker is to let it stay off for about 30 minutes. Does this mean it's the comprssor because financially that would be a nightmare!!!???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: