Replaced condenser fan and contactor, now won't shut off

Old 07-22-12, 11:57 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replaced condenser fan and contactor, now won't shut off

Ok a bit of a long story but need some help. My condenser fan went out so I replaced it with a universal 4 wire motor (original was a 3 wire) I accidently hooked up the white fan wire to the 24v terminal for the t-stat controller and this blew the breaker and fried the contactor coil so it only worked if you pushed it in. I got a new contactor and got instructions on how to wire everything. Hooked it up with a 3 wire configuration that came with the new fan motor. The contactor still would not pull in but everything worked if you pushed it in. So I tried the 4 wire config. This worked but then it would not shut off when it got to temp. Checked the new contactor and it was stuck. I got it unstuck and there were no burn marks or welding it looked like the plastic button just got wedged or something all the contacts were clean. Put it back on and now it won't pull in.

To add to this the furnace fan will not shut off either except with the breaker. Pulled the green wire and the fan still runs. So I am wondering of I messed up something in the control board or t-stat also, and somehow the new contactor was faulty or did I do something to fry the new contactor? Probably going to call a tech at this point (so much for trying to save some money) to pin point the problem however can't do that till Monday so thought I would put this out there in case anyone has any ideas or had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-22-12, 01:08 PM
J
So I am wondering of I messed up something in the control board or t-stat also
Basically one leg on the 240volt line was fed back to the 24 volt control line. This would likely ruin the circuit board and t-sat (as well as anything else in its path).

Sorry to hear this, but you will likely need a good tech for this one.

Old 07-22-12, 07:12 PM
E
You must have a carrier, or a brand made by carrier. They have fuses in the circuit board, 24volt fuses, and when it blows out, as a safety measure, the fan will come on and stay on until the fuse is replaced. This fuse also prevents 24 volts from going to the contactor if fuse is blown.

Old 07-22-12, 11:08 PM
H
No fuses that I could see but I will double check to be sure.. It is a Rheem brand 030j

T-state still shows temp and hear it click when it gets to temp however nothing happens anywhere else.

Old 07-23-12, 09:51 AM
E
You need ti see if you are getting 24 volts at the condenser. Then the furnace. Then the tstat. Probably blew the transformer

Old 07-23-12, 10:09 AM
H
does the condenser and comp need to be running to check that and what terminals do I measure across C across Y or each one separately and to ground? Where is the transformer?

Old 07-23-12, 10:35 AM
E
yeah with the tstat on, measure across c and y, if you get 24volts at any location your transformer is alright

Old 07-23-12, 07:32 PM
H
Thanks for the info I do not have 24 v at any point. Would that cause the contactor to also not pull in?

I also noticed the circuit on the board looks like it heated up so might need a new controller board and transformer. Tech is coming out tomorrow so I'll see what he says and I want him to install it so I know its wired right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: