AC not blowing cold air

Old 07-23-12, 08:06 AM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC not blowing cold air

So we forgot to change our filters. A few days ago, no air was blowing out of the vents at all. So, I changed the filters and then air starts blowing again but now it is not cold. Its cool, but not cold.

So, I shut the AC off completely for about half a day. The next morning there was water all in the floor (I'm assuming the coils had frozen and thawed).

Last night I turned the fan to on, because I read if it had re-frozen, then turning the AC to off & the fan to ON would help it thaw quicker.

But there is still not cold air. What can I do to get the AC cold again?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-12, 09:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
Half a day may not have been long enough for the ice to melt. I usually go at least a day if the enclosure is not opened to allow warm air to the coils. I have trouble with tenants turning the AC back on after leaving so I often have to take the disconnect with me to insure that the unit stays off long enough for it to thaw.

During this latest heat wave I had two rental units with frozen coils. One had the air return in the hallway floor and the tenant put a nice new rug over it and the other the tenant rearranged the furniture and pushed a sofa up against the intake completely blocking the airflow. With our southern humidity it's amazing how large and solid a chunk of ice it can form. Since the ice solidly encases the delicate coils and fins there is not much you can do except give it time. If possible I'll open the panels and place a fan blowing on the ice but even with that is can take half a day for the back recesses to thaw.

Old 07-25-12, 07:38 AM
Q
Ok, so we turned it off for 40 hours and it still is not blowing cold air. All vents are open and the air is cool, but not cold.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-25-12, 01:50 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You have a freon charge related problem, you need to call a AC tech to check it out.

Old 07-26-12, 08:15 AM
Q
You are correct. It was $350 for freon & cleaning the grill. Fixed the problem.