Window a/c turns on and off frequently after cooling

Old 07-23-12, 10:33 PM
Window a/c turns on and off frequently after cooling

Hi. My window ac cools fine, and the coils are clean, but after the room is cool it cycles on and off more often than it should, on for 2 minutes off for 4, or about that. Sometimes on for 30 seconds. That's not enough time for cooling to even take effect, so what's going on? I think it must be an over sensitive thermostat, or control board problem. I want to fix this because it's not good for the motors.

Model: Kenmore 580.75062501 (the low profile model) purchased about 4 years ago. It has always had this issue, but it's somewhat worse now.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 08:20 AM
Always use a large floor fan to circulate the air to the A/C's Return or away from the units output air.

You can cool a lot larger areas with a small room unit.

All A/C systems should have incremental adjustable TH differential temp-settings of up to around 3-F degrees max.

Example; on at 77-F off at 75-F.

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 07-24-12 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Example...
Old 07-24-12, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 37
Window units are notorious for pulling their vented air back into their intakes, thus not cooling the room as one would intuit they should. Moving the air around the room with a fan or creating more physical separation of the intake and exhaust on the unit will help.