Circuit Board.

Old 07-27-12, 08:13 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit Board.

Last week had a lighting storm. Next morning air was out. Thermostat was shut off, but unit inside the house was blowing warm air. The unit outside was making this loud clicking sound about 2 clicks per second. Finally it stopped. smelled like a burnt smell. Opened up the pannel, saw that the contact was burnt up. Replaced it for 10.00. No problem for about a week. Same exact thing happened again while i was away. Wife calls AC guy out charges her 150.00 for a new contact and one pound freon. Air worked great for a whole day. Same thing happened again. AC guy could'nt come out, call another guy. He thinks it might be the circuit board. He bypasses the circuit board, works great for about 5 hours, same thing,(thermostat shuts off, loud clicking coming from contact 2 clicks per second.) Ive got a circuit board coming in tomorrow. I got it online for 90.00. He wanted 200.00 for his. Since its still clicking I guess its not the circuit board. Two AC guys come out and we still dont know. Its a Carrier unit. All the voltage and amps they tested came out good no problem. Capacitor is good. He said that we shouldnt leave circuit board bypassed for long. How long can i leave it like that till part comes in.(supposed to be tomorrow)Can anyone give any insight here. Oh and it seems that when i pull the breakers for an extended period of time and put them back in place, Unit works for at least 8 hours or so. Thanks all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-12, 05:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
does your t-stat use batteries? If so, replace them! How are you getting the t-stat to turn back on?

Old 07-28-12, 07:07 AM
R
It comes and goes. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Thermostat is same way.
Last night did not have any air. Same clicking no power to thermostat. Wake up this morning and plug back in the breaker and everything comes on great.

Old 07-28-12, 07:13 AM
R
No Batteries, its wired into the unit.

Old 07-28-12, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There may be a float switch in a drain pan or a condensate pump that is tripping and causing your problem. Or it is a bad connection. Check your air handler/furnace for water in a pan.

Old 07-28-12, 10:47 AM
R
Pan is empty. Circuit board supposed to come in today. Ill update this evening. Thanks.

Old 07-28-12, 02:01 PM
R
Off course the circuit board cant come in untill Monday.