Wall AC unit turning ON and OFF frequently

Old 08-06-12, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall AC unit turning ON and OFF frequently

OK, so I have this wall AC that initially turns ON and seems OK, but then after a couple of minutes, it turns OFF the compressor before the room is cool. Then shortly after, it turns the compressor back ON for a minute, and then it turns it OFF again. It seems that after a while parts goes OFF for a long time before turning back ON.

What’s weird is that it sometimes even turns the fan OFF and when the compressor turns ON during this state, the evaporator gets real cold…then the compressor turns OFF…then the evaporator gets real warm!

I’m not sure if some sensors are picking up something or that the CPU has “memory”, but even if I turn the AC completely OFF and unplug it, it still doesn’t resume normal operation. I have to let the AC stay OFF for a while before it turns ON again as if “normal”…even though it just lasts a couple of minutes as “normal”.

Can someone please explain this bizzare operation? Is this serviceable? Or is it time to buy a new AC?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-12, 08:50 AM
Room A/Cs are terrible for short cycling; they need a temp-differential control setting like the 1 to 9 SWING settings on some Room Thermostats.

Efficiency is totally lost &, short cycling is extremely hard on the compressor & all components!

Turn the cold control to its coldest setting & regulate the cycles yourself; that's what I do but have small half-ton A/Cs so they can run most of the time & keep temp & humidity in the perfect comfort zone.

I never let them cycle on their own temp-control.

Old 08-08-12, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Separating the exhaust and intake can help, window units often have the conditioned air going right back in the intake, making them think the room is cool.

Old 08-08-12, 09:06 AM
Separating the exhaust and intake can help, window units often have the conditioned air going right back in the intake, making them think the room is cool.
You're absolutely right; most smaller Room A/Cs will only cool in the small area around the A/C & recycle that cold air back through their return inlet resulting in short cycling...

I always use a fan to move the discharge air away from the 6,000-Btuh A/C & circulate it throughout 3 rooms & a hallway on my 750-sf first floor.

Old 08-08-12, 10:13 AM
This A/C used to work. And I did try to turn it up to the coldest setting. I even tried to take the thermocouple off the evaporator and place it furthur away in case it was picking up the cold evaporator if by chance the air intake wasn't "fast enough".

It's this btw.
AJES12DCC | GE® 230/208 Volt Built-In Room Air Heat/Cool Unit | GE Appliances

I do have another lower model of the same in a smaller room and it works perfectly according to the thermostat.