Looking for a new smart central unit thermostat

Old 08-11-12, 09:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for a new smart central unit thermostat

Hi. We have had our newly stick built home for about 4 years and since then we've been using a plain Honeywell non-programmable thermostat. We live in eastern NC and in the summer our electric bill runs about $200/ month and in the winter it can climb to over $400/ month ! We're on a tight budget this year and are looking for ways to cut cost, especially with electricity usage (our home is only 1400 sq ft).

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with programmable thermostats, whether or not they work well. My wife is stay at home with our children, so there is always someone there. Do programmables really save money on cooling heating cost?

Also, does there exist a thermostat that will automatically adjust the set temperature based on how long the unit runs? For example, on hot days we may have the unit set to 75, but the temperature in the home climbs to 78. When this happens the central unit runs all the time and never turns off. This happens in the winter as well. Is there a thermostat that will automatically adjust the set temp up or down if it detects that the unit has been running too long, to save energy consumption?

Not looking to spend more than $60-70, but if there is one that will do what I explained above, please share. If it will save me $100 in one month, it will be worth it.

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 08-11-12, 10:20 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Of course programmable thermostats work but in YOUR situation the savings will be minimal. Programmable thermostats are for people that have a regular schedule that includes significant times when the house is unoccupied. As long as you turn the heat down when you go to bed and then back up when you rise (or vice versa when in cooling mode) on your manual thermostat the savings you will get from a programmable will be minimal.

Where you MIGHT get some increased comfort along with slight savings is to automatically turn down the thermostat some time before bed and use "adaptive recovery" to raise the heat in the morning. I will guarantee that you will NOT save $100 a month no matter how much you spend on a thermostat.

Old 08-11-12, 11:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Is there a thermostat that will automatically raise or lower the set temp based on unit run time to save energy?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: