AC drain clogged and ceiling over tub leaking

Old 08-20-12, 06:53 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC drain clogged and ceiling over tub leaking

About a week or so ago we noticed that the pipe sticking out of the eave on our 2 story home was leaking and since it had never done that before we knew it was a problem. After searching online we discovered what we thought might be a simple solution: locate the main drain outside, vaccum out the clog and pour some bleach to try to keep it clean. I went up in the attic to check on the draining pan and it had some water in it but not overflowing. I checked out all around the house and could not locate any drains.I checked all the sinks and still nothing. Last night I noticed the ceiling above the tub was dripping. This is in the second floor and not far from the eave where the secondary pipe is draining. I went back to the attic today and the pan was not
overflowing and it was completely dry underneath. I have no idea where the drip is coming from in the ceiling on top of the tub but is not from the actual pan under the unit in the attic. The tub itself is not clogged. After further inspection I found behind some furniture and directly located on one side of the tub in the master bedroom a little opening with a door that lifts up and it has some plumbing and I believe it may be the main drain. It is completely dry in there and well, now don't know what steps to take, any ideas???

Old 08-20-12, 07:12 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

About a week or so ago we noticed that the pipe sticking out of the eave on our 2 story home was leaking and since it had never done that before we knew it was a problem.
Actually, that sounds like the condensate drain doing what it was designed to do.

I went up in the attic to check on the draining pan and it had some water in it but not overflowing. I checked out all around the house and could not locate any drains... Last night I noticed the ceiling above the tub was dripping. This is in the second floor and not far from the eave where the secondary pipe is draining. I went back to the attic today and the pan was not overflowing and it was completely dry underneath. I have no idea where the drip is coming from in the ceiling on top of the tub but is not from the actual pan under the unit in the attic.
Have you checked all of the pipe, including every coupling or joint, from the pan to the outlet under the eave?

Old 08-22-12, 10:35 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I went back to the attic and located the pipe going out to the eave and it was fine. I emptied all the water from the pan under the unit in the attic, about 4 buckets full. After doing that and for about 12 hrs later, the drip out of the eave stopped and the one over the tub slowed down considerably. Then it started again so I repeated the process and it's been about 24 hours and the drip is minimal. I know I have to empty the pan again. I really have no money right now for a repair and if I have to do this daily then I guess I have no choice, that and set the thermostast at 79. Couple of questions....when I am emptying the pan and I hear the air conditioner stop, I notice one of the outlets in the unit begin to drip what I imagine is condensation, this is correct??
Also, once I turn off the air for fall/winter and turn the heat on, I should have no problem, right? I am trying to see if I can wait this out a few more weeks and then go thru winter and early spring have it fixed, I'll have the money then.

Old 08-23-12, 10:17 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Because your primary drain is clogged, that's why the water goes into the pan and then drains out at eave which serves as a warning. Your primary is connected to the plumbing system inside the wall, you may not see it. so you need to find the primary drain pipe in the attic, and try to clean it out from there. (Ceiling leak is a different problem)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: