Central AC Unit not working!

Old 08-22-12, 03:00 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central AC Unit not working!

Hi there!

Here is a little background on what is happening:

It is a central ac/heating system. For the past couple of weeks the AC would be running, but we would notice the air wasn't cool. We would simple set it to the off position on the tstat and then turn it to cool again and it would fix the problem. It started happening more frequently and now switching off and on doesn't do anything.

The unit outside does not turn on at all.
The fan/unit in the basement turns on and blows air throughout the house.
I replaced the tstat and it still doesn't work.
I went outside after reading this forums for a bit to see what I could figure out. I noticed no melting or anything that look foul on the contactor, but I know that doesn't mean it's not that. I noticed on the contactor that there was a button like feature that when pressed would connect the "terminals" and the unit would turn on only as I held it in.

I noticed the canister that was attached seemed to be in "good" shape I didn't notice any puffing.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what else could be causing this and what I can do to fix it myself.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-12, 03:08 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Old 08-22-12, 03:20 PM
T
I do not have a multimeter. I have just a simple voltage detector.

Just before coming back to check this post I checked the low voltage wire or what I thought was the low voltage wire.

I really am just winging it lol. While using it I decided to grab the wire and follow it and being me I wiggled it to see if it was loose at all. Low and behold the unit turned on. I think I have a short or a bad connection and will be looking into it further.

My question now is how do I remove the panel on the basement unit to check?

Thanks

Old 08-22-12, 03:39 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Well, definitely NOT a "short" (circuit) if you get it to run by wiggling a wire. I would carefully inspect that wire looking for either an internal (to the insulation) break or a poor connection to the contactor.

As for removing the internal panel...manufacturer and model number will help as will several pictures.

Old 08-22-12, 03:59 PM
T
Name:  IMAG0158.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  24.9 KBName:  IMAG0159.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  30.9 KB

Hopefully these help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question