Ice on AC line, defrosted, came back 12 hours later

Old 09-05-12, 01:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ice on AC line, defrosted, came back 12 hours later

My house air conditioning system has ice on the pipe that connects the outside fan/heat exchanger with the inside furnace. Its a mobile home so the only air going in is on the door to the blower motor. The vents were dirty on the door intake so I took them out, turned it to heater (so the AC would turn off) then turned the fan to on, 3 hours later the line was ice free I turned it on and it was good. 12 hours later after a road trip we come back and the line has ice again. Did I not defrost it long enough maybe? Lived here for a year and first time I've had any issue other then replacing the condenser fan motor the day I moved in.
Its a Coleman Presidential II. Its been rather hot here lately, 100 yesterday, 93 today. 80 overnight. After turning it back on, I'm sure it ran constantly till we got home and I saw it.

Old 09-05-12, 02:23 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Need to verify the evaporator coil is not plugged. Other than that you need to call a pro to have the refrigerant level checked.

Old 09-05-12, 02:31 PM
J
Info

So that means, if the outside of the unit, that is the aluminum fins are clean and it does this, that there is a Freon leak, and it needs to be serviced?

Old 09-05-12, 02:36 PM
no, the coil below the furnace. those fins need to be cleaned along with the ones outside, but the inside fins being dirty can cause icing.

Old 09-05-12, 03:41 PM
J
2nd try

Ok, evaporator coils are clean (outside), and I did what i could with the A coil inside, can't get the panel off because they ran the lines through it for the AC and in front of it for the Gas. But I pulled it out as much as i could and got what i could. I suppose I'll wait and see what happens. Thanks for your help so far.

Old 09-05-12, 05:20 PM
ok... lesson in terminalogy.... Inside coil = a coil = evaporator coil.............outside coil = condenser coil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: