Condensor/Compressor turning on and immediately off, this is the story...

Old 09-10-12, 05:49 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensor/Compressor turning on and immediately off, this is the story...

We noticed our ac was running but turning on more frequently and running longer. We suspected a freon leak in our York central air unit and called a York recommended repair company. The test confirmed we had leak in the evaporator coils in the unit in the attic. The cost for the test/charge/home visit totaled more than $500. The coil was a covered by the original warranty (the whole system is 3.5 years old) but we paid for the labor ($960). The repair company drained the system and replaced with full charge of freon. Within a day we noticed the condensor/compressor unit outside would turn on and then immediately turn off. It would do this several times in a row before sitting idle. Sometimes it would turn on and run. We called same company again and they suspected air or a non-condensable in the system, probably stemming from the recharge. They drained the system and recharged again, but the problem continued. They called York tech-support and were told to replace the filter drier which they did today but the problem still continues. Now York thinks in might be a TXU, some kind of valve, and told the tech to replace that, hoping that it will fix the problem. The part would be covered but we'd be liable for the labor. Now I feel like they are just replacing parts hoping to find the problem. I think it's unfair to ask me to continue to pay labor costs when they are having problems diagnosing the problem. Can anyone give me any guidance here? Give me some idea of what might be wrong? Thanks for reading this far!

Old 09-10-12, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Was the TXV (typically comes with a coil) included with the replacement coil? If so, then I would not pay a dime for a replacement TXV. When they remove the txv they need to check the inlet screen for debris.

Unfortunately, we can not speculate as to causes because we dont have all the pertinent info. Even if we had that, we can not comment on it on this forum : http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ng-your-c.html

Old 09-10-12, 07:46 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your response. I do not think the TXV was replaced when they replaced the coil. The only part that shows on my receipt is the coil. No one mentioned the TXV until today. Is this something that should have been replaced and checked for debris when they replaced the coil? Can you explain to me how the TXV and coil are connected? Is it a possibility that debris is blocking the inlet screen as a result of the coil replacement or the recharging of the system? Assuming it's a closed system, nothing else should be able to get in there, correct? If this is the contractor's fault, I need to be able to stand my ground and get some resolution from them. If any of these questions violate the above thread, I understand your inability to answer. I appreciate your time.

Old 09-10-12, 08:39 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
A TXV is a metering device and is just upstream of the coil in a refrigerant circuit. Some coils come with TXV already attached and not a separate item. The TXV is in the middle of the picture toward the bottom front of the coil.

NOW, if the TXV sensing bulb was already installed on the suction line before they brazed in the coil and they did not protect the line/bulb from over heating then it may have ruined the txv. This of course is speculation, but I have seen it before. I doubt there is anything in the inlet screen, but if Tech support told them to replace the drier, then this being plugged would give similar syptoms as to a reason to replace the drier. IMO, the txv repalcement charge should be as though it were done at the same time as the coil if not for free. Where you have ground to stand on is that the system did not act this way when the contractor was first called out. It acted a different way which was caused by low charge, this is a new symptom most likely caused by poor workmanship, IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: