outside unit clicks but does not come on, unless tech shows up!

Old 09-11-12, 03:04 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outside unit clicks but does not come on, unless tech shows up!

The unit is a 16 year old Intertherm. No problems before. Here is the symptom and background. When the thermostat calls for cooling the unit outside has a slight click every 15 seconds, inside the fan comes on. This started after I had shut the unit off for about 12 hours, we had the first cool weather in a while. I did not really notice the house was warm until we came in yesterday in the am after being out a couple of hours and i felt the "air" was wrong.
So, we turned it off and called a tech. I went to work and when he could make it i came home to see what the damage would be. The wife says it is working ok and the tech said it came on when she turned it on from inside, but was a little low on R-22. Always makes you feel real smart when it works and you said it did not. hmm. so, he charged it up and indicated it took 2lbs. it cooled great the rest of the afternoon. At 3:30 in the am I woke up and felt something was wrong. Sure enough the fan is on and the compresser unit outside is not. I turned it off about 30 minutes. Again when i turn thermostat on and set temp the air handler runs after a few second delay and the unit outside just clicks about every 15 seconds.
I have been searching on here for answers. I guess i will need to call the tech back. I did pay $80 for a service call and $77 for freon.
Do you think it is a bad contactor or capacitor? The ambient temp right now is about 65 so the windows are open. I did find a post earlier that was similiar in that the unit only came on when it was hot enough outside. We will see if that is the case here when the sun comes up.
thanks

Old 09-11-12, 04:30 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
first.... 2 lbs is a LOT and you have a sealed system so the only way it could be low is if you have a leak. Did the tech do a leak search?

second.... it may be a weak capacitor, but I suspect something else because of the click "every 15 seconds".

You should call the tech back. This time if it doing it then dont change anything, let it go until he arrives so he can verify the problem.

Old 09-15-12, 04:03 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
timer delay was bad

it was the outside timer delay. intermittant, but failed again while the A/C tech came back. He said he should have opened up the panel and looked the first time he was here, no extra service charge. He asked if i wanted to just bypass it since we have a digital thermostat as it seems that is a common "fix", but i decided to leave the design as is and had him put a replacement timer delay on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: