AC will not come on

Old 09-15-12, 09:08 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC will not come on

I have a Payne Heating and Cooling Model PGAMAA and the AC will not come on. The LED Code shows a 24 for a short circuit in the secondary voltage (24 VAC) wiring.

Please tell me how to find where that is. I understand it is a fuse. I took the face off of the tstat but could not understand what I was looking for.

Thank you very much,

John D.

Old 09-16-12, 06:20 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The fuse is located on the control board in the furnace. You will have to locate the short on your own. I would start out at the condensing unit and make sure the low voltage 2 wire to the unit is intact.

Old 09-16-12, 08:43 AM
S
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help. Once I take the cover off the front, how do I locate the control board? I am a good do it yourself person but here I just need help finding where I need to be looking.

Again, I really appreciate your help.

John D.

Old 09-16-12, 08:46 AM
you will see it..... undoubtedly.....

Old 09-16-12, 05:39 PM
S
How will I recognize the fuse? Is it like an automobile fuse? or between two wires in a plastic cylinder?

Thanks.

Old 09-16-12, 05:44 PM
have you even looked yet? It is an automotive blade fuse located on the control board.

Old 09-16-12, 07:25 PM
S
AC Panel

Name:  Payne AC 003.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  39.4 KB
Yes, I have looked, I have attached a photo of where I am looking. I appreciate your help, can you tell if I am in the right place? If so, can you tell where the fuse might be?

Thanks very much,

John D.

Old 09-16-12, 07:30 PM
look below that. There is a door.... You said there was a LED code? The LED is on the control board.

Old 09-16-12, 07:37 PM
S
Yes, now I understand where to look. I will have to wait until tomorrow morning but that tells me where to go. There seem to be two screws holding the cover and I will look behind it for the fuse.

Thank you very much,

John D.

Old 09-17-12, 06:08 PM
S
Thank you hvactechfw

Thank you very much hvactechfw, I followed your instructions, the fuse was there and blown as you suspected. I replaced it and am now enjoying my AC again.

This site is so valuable, thank you very much. A dog we were baby sitting found the wire leading from the house into the AC Condenser a nice toy, chewed it causing the fuse to blow. I first got the dog back to his owner, replaced the wire with #18-3 wire thermostat wire but I could not find the fuse. Thank you for your patience and help,

John D.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: