Limits to DIY and HVAC???

Old 09-26-12, 08:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Limits to DIY and HVAC???

Hi Folks-

I have a question about how to find your limits on a project before you get in too deep. I have a blown blower motor on my air handler, hit by an electrical surge in storm last week. This was confirmed by an HVAC tech. I have an old house and an old ac system that I know is due for replacement, but with a baby due in two months and the worst of the Florida summer behind us, I'm inclined to patch this problem and put off the whole deal until later.

Is this a job for a pro, or can a (fairly) mechanically inclined guy tackle this one? If it matters, it's an old Lennox B24 series air handler.

Thanks for any input.
Scott in FL

Old 09-26-12, 09:49 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Here is a source of information on the B 24 series. I would be concerned about the control board as well as the motor.

http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Part...24_Series_.pdf

Old 09-27-12, 03:54 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
If it is just the motor then you can do it. You may need to purchase a wheel puller though.

PS. Always replace the capacitor when replacing a motor.

Old 09-27-12, 08:36 AM
M
the HVAC tech that came out to the house tested the control board. The fuse was out, presumably saving that. The ultimately didn't want to work on the unit- It's hot and cramped up there so I totally understand. He referred me to another company.

I realize that most outfits will be looking to replace the air handler, and it's probably the best thing to do.

Thanks for the help.

-Scott

Old 09-27-12, 08:40 AM
M
I guess the next problem will be gettng ahold of the blower. AC suppliers don't generally sell parts to citizens, do they?

Old 09-27-12, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Actually....most places will sell parts like that. You might also find the right motor at Grainger or similar supply stores.

HVAC supply stores will not sell things related to the closed system and sometimes control board type items.....at least that has been my experience.

Old 09-27-12, 03:32 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The board and transformer should be checked prior to replacing the blower motor; just because the fuse blew doesn't mean that the board didn't get damaged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: