AC unit leaking lots of water all at once

Old 10-04-12, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC unit leaking lots of water all at once

Hello,

We had the coil replaced in our AC unit earlier in the year, and i've noticed over the last few months that we would occasionally get some dripping out of the overflow pipe. More recently, there have been times when water will just come pouring out of the pipe for maybe 10 seconds or so. I think we've been able to nearly fill up a 3 gallon bucket over the course of a day on one occasion.

The first time we experienced water dripping out, we thought the drain was clogged, even though we did see water dripping steadily out of the outside drain. I cleaned the drain and it was loaded with a lot of slime. However, the drip persisted and i found out that the coil was icing over. AC repair guy said it was from low refrigerant. The coil was quite bit rusty, so it seemed plausible that it was leaking. According to my wife, he did check for leaks with a sniffer.

So the coil was replaced months ago and we've got water dripping inside the garage again. I'm not sure i remember it pouring out the first time around like it does now, but i'm wondering if we have an icing issue, or if it is really a clogged drain. We have a pretty steady stream coming out of it.

I'm not really sure how the cleanout pipe (PVC sticking up on the left, i actually have the plug/cap part off in this photo) is supposed to work without flooding the AC unit with water at the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-12, 01:11 PM
One way to find out.... Cut the pipe and blow through it. When putting pipe back together use a union so it can be taken apart again at another time if needed. The other thing to do is remove the door and see if you see ice...

Old 10-06-12, 12:41 PM
There should be some way to separate it to clean it and be able to put it back together. A union should do the trick. The last time i did it, i had the panel off, had to plug the port to the drain tray, and then attached a hose to the outside pipe.

Should i put the union in the pipe running under the unit, or closer to the elbows by the unit?

Old 10-06-12, 04:43 PM
anywhere you want is fine and then blow both ways.

Old 10-14-12, 09:32 PM
So i got a removable coupler from Home Depot, and in the sprinkler section, i found a fitting that had a smooth male end with a female hose end. I was able to insert that into the disconnected coupler and run the hose through it.

This is what came out the other end:

Old 10-14-12, 09:34 PM
looks like it was plugged.....

Old 10-14-12, 09:39 PM
The 90-degree fitting going into the wall broke loose while i was cutting the upper pipe. I cleaned, primed and resealed it, and waited 24 hrs before running the hose through it. It leaked a bit during the flush (i think some of the insulation was pulled into the joint), but doesn't under normal operation. Now that it's easy to flush the system, i'll have to make it a routine thing. Thanks for the help.

Steve

Old 10-14-12, 09:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I don't see a p-trap between the tee and the air handler.
This would prevent proper drainage of the system until the fan cycles off.