condenser fan motor

Old 10-11-12, 07:32 AM
condenser fan motor

Came home last week and my HVAC was making loud noise. The fan was not turning and high pressure line was very hot and low side hot. Turned off. Turned back on few minutes later and fan came on but seemed slow than shut off again after few minutes. Low side also got cold. Replace Run Cap. Turned back on and fan started but still seem slow. Loud noise and vibrations, seemed to be the contactor. Contacts very burned. Replaced contactor. I had service guy out about month earlier. Unit would not power at all but could hear relay when started. Tried it later when got home and it fired up. All ready had appointment so let him come. Said bad time relay and bypassed it. It was probably the contactor. Anyhow when started back up fan still about same speed but thought maybe it was right. Was accross street and loud noise again. Fan stopped. What I dont understand is what that noise could be with the fan not turning. Also seemed to have vibration in unit. Fan turns easily with stick. It is 16 years old. Service tech had also comment something about pressure when he was there.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-12, 06:07 PM
replace the motor. The noise is likely the compressor and the internal relief opening due to high pressure caused by the motor not operating.

Old 10-12-12, 02:25 AM
Will do. Hopefully that will take care of. Thanks

Old 10-19-12, 01:11 PM
Got back from vacation today and replaced fan motor. Seems to have fixed it. Could not find an exact replacement but close. Old one 1/8, 1.2, 1075 and new one 1/6, 1.4, 1075. Hopefully wired correct. Had a three wire and new motor was a four wire. I have a dual cap. Hooked the brown to the fan on cap and left the brown/white unhooked. Hooked the black and yellow to contactor. That sound correct?

I probably should of cut off some of the shaft. It looked like it was going to have plenty of clearance. After put together it has a little over 1 inch clearance from the compressor.

I think when tech came out earlier this year and bypassed the time relay that it was probably the contactor. It was pretty burned. Should I try to reconnect it or does the programmable thermostat serve the same purpose?

Old 10-19-12, 03:35 PM
Yes, it sounds like you wired it correctly and that motor should work fine. If you have a digital thermostat then I would not put the time delay back in.