South Florida Central AC partial cooling

Old 10-14-12, 06:41 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
South Florida Central AC partial cooling

Everything appears to work, including the outside fan, but the force of air coming out of the vents is about 70% of normal and the air is cool but not cold. The AC Company says "maybe the condenser is weak" and will replace it for about a thousand dollars. The condenser is about 12 years old. It did this a few weeks ago but suddenly started working at full force and temperature. Then after a few days starting working at 70% again. Hot air is coming out of the outside fan, the filter inside is clear. The thermostat is about 42 years old. Any chance that could be causing the problem? I hate to spend $1,000 on a "maybe".

Thanks much.

-Humeston

Old 10-14-12, 09:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
The amperage of the compressor vs the RLA rating, pump down ability, superheat, subcool, delta tee,and esp of the system should be measured to tell you the performance of your system.

I recommend calling a different company. I wouldn't want to spend $1000 on a maybe either.

Old 10-15-12, 03:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Upvotes on 217 Posts
I was struck by the phrase "force of the air @ 70%". That would seem to indicate either a restriction - clogged filter or evaporator coils - or an air handler fan that is running below designed speed unless there's some kind of two-speed function built in?

Old 11-13-12, 06:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The outdoor condenser has nothing to do with the indoor airflow; could be an ice blocked coil or, other problems as another indicated.

Stay away from the guy pointing to outdoor condenser!

I'd replace the thermostat with one with a SWING setting (programmable).

ACE Hardware stores: ACE ATX 1500 4115176 is a good low priced heat & cool TH; fully programmable; read the instructions on how to program it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: