A little SWEATY here... help

Old 10-15-12, 06:09 PM
A little SWEATY here... help

Hi all.... Having trouble diagnosing central A/C... Here is the lowdown. A week ago my A/C quit completely and no power to digital thermastat (the NO Battery kind) either, digital thermastat dead and everything... I checked the breakers(ok), even changed the thermastat (still not working), also checked the air handlers light that shows everything is working ok, they were blinking like it should ... Then a half a day later, everything kicked on and started working like normal... Everything was fine until today, It quit again... No power to thermastat, compressor and fan not kicing on... it did kick back on for a couple hours then everything quit again... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-12, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have an analog voltmeter ? We can direct you where to check.

Old 10-15-12, 06:23 PM
It is possible that you have a float switch or condensate pump with aux switch that is killing the power so nothing overflows. Often this is cause by a slow drain. Check around your air handler for water. Do you have a condensate pump or float switch in a secondary drain pan on the system?

Old 10-15-12, 08:27 PM
Hi, yes the handler has a pump and pan, pan is empty and the littleemergency overflow gadget is high and dry. thanks

Old 10-15-12, 08:31 PM
pjmax, i will buy one 2marro, thanks for replys

Old 10-16-12, 07:47 AM
Got the analog meter..

Hey guys..got the analog meter. What now??

Old 10-16-12, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Check the basics first. Make sure the access cover over the blower is on correctly (if it's the removeable type) . hvactechfw asked you about the condensate tank. Did you check the float to make sure it moves easily. You could check that switch electrically. Look for two small wires with wire nuts coming out of the housing. With your system calling for a/c there should be 0 volts on those wires using the voltmeter set on the range just over 24 volts AC. Is this some kind of combo heat and a/c unit or just a/c ? A make and model would probably be a big help. You said that the lights were blinking on the controller even when system was not working. That's telling us that you are not losing 110v to the system but you may losing the 24v control voltage.

Old 10-16-12, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info. I was up in the attic earlier, I powered off the unit with the power off swtich-didnt' do anything other than look at the air handler. Then I powered it back on, came back downstairs,& the thermostat was resetting itself. Then it kicked back on as usual, now working again...I don't know what's going on.

Old 10-18-12, 08:24 AM
A/c quit again..... This is a combo unit. Lennox model ch33-36a-2f-3. The water overflow mechanism is ok.