Magic Marker Smell Coming from Ceiling Vents

Old 10-30-12, 01:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magic Marker Smell Coming from Ceiling Vents

I hope you all can help. I work in a large office building, and for the past week and a half we have all smelled something similar to a magic marker smell coming from the air vents in the ceiling (although yesterday it smelled a bit more like a diesel fuel smell). There are 5 floors in this building, and we are the only office smelling this and having problems from this smell.

We contacted building manintance, and last week they claimed it was from paint, as they had been painting an office the week before (but not in our office suite, and this does not smell like paint). This week they claim it was because they pulled up old carpet down the hall last Friday. What a load of BS!

Everyone in the office has been getting headaches and sinus/stuffy nose problems, we feel nauseaus, are dizzy/lightheaded, and our chests' feel tight and burn.

They had the fire dept come in yesterday to do a haz mat test, but came up with nothing (I assume they checked for carbon monoxide, etc).

I went to the dr. yesterday and he said the problem is what is going on in the building, nothing more, since when we all go home, within a few hours we all feel back to normal (although yesterday my chest was still buring through the night). We've had other people come into the office asking what that smell is too, so it's we're not crazy (we have 15 people in our office, although only 7 of us are in there all day long, the other 8 are only in there maybe 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening). My dr. told me not to return until they resolve the problem.

We are completely frustrated, as building maintenance acts like we are crazy, and our head boss is starting to make us feel that way too.

Any ideas as to what could cause the magic marker, and sometimes fuel smell?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-12, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Did the FD have any opinions even though they did not detect anything?

Old 10-30-12, 01:18 PM
Apparently not. We were just told that they did a haz mat check and everything checked out fine.

Old 10-30-12, 03:31 PM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
One can speculate on the cause, but the symptoms and doctors advice is enough to trigger a workplace safety concern. I was involved in relocating an entire bank branch because of an air quality issue, several employees were getting sick. A simple call to OSHA should get the ball rolling. Someone needs to come in and identify the source and take the appropriate action.

They have small cameras they can extend into the air ducts to be sure they are clear. There are various gas detectors that can identify harmful fumes. Rather simple to get to the bottom of this if you can get the right persons attention, and workers comp and OSHA are just as concerned as you are.

Bud

Old 10-31-12, 09:26 AM
Report we got today: All air quality tests were within normal range. Still doesn't explain the smell and the problems we are having.