Should I have used bleach/water to rinse off evaporator coil cleaner?

Old 11-25-12, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Should I have used bleach/water to rinse off evaporator coil cleaner?

I have a Trane XE100 split unit heating/AC system. Today I cleaned the evaporator coil in the attic unit. (I also cleaned the compressor coil outside)

I used coil cleaner on the evaporator coil today. Although I poured some bleach into the drain pain and drain hole, I only rinsed the coil with low pressure water.....no bleach. Now I wish I had used a bleach/water mixture to rinse the coil.

But since I didn't, I have been running the A/C for 3 hours. It's only 75 degrees with 20% humidity here in Arizona, so I had to let the house get pretty cool to get the A/C to stay on for awhile. Will running the A/C sufficiently pull out the straight water I sprayed on the coil, to prevent mold? Os should I open the panel in the next couple days and spray bleach/water on the coil this time?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-12, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 341 Votes on 319 Posts
I'm not sure what you should have sprayed on the coil but to dry it out just put the fan on. No need to run the A/C to dry it out.

Old 11-26-12, 05:54 AM
I used a universal coil cleaner from Lowes. Says it works on all home HVAC systems. Then I just followed directions on can. Thanks

Old 11-26-12, 04:32 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Bleach will do nothing to keep mold from growing. It will not last more than an hour or two. Just clean with coil cleaner and rinse

Old 11-26-12, 07:12 PM
Well, I ran both the A/C and the fan buy itself for awhile to evaporate all the water I used to rinse. Hopefully should be enough. I think people use bleach water to prevent mold from the initial rinsing only.