Should I have used bleach/water to rinse off evaporator coil cleaner?

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-25-12, 06:14 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,184
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Should I have used bleach/water to rinse off evaporator coil cleaner?

I have a Trane XE100 split unit heating/AC system. Today I cleaned the evaporator coil in the attic unit. (I also cleaned the compressor coil outside)

I used coil cleaner on the evaporator coil today. Although I poured some bleach into the drain pain and drain hole, I only rinsed the coil with low pressure water.....no bleach. Now I wish I had used a bleach/water mixture to rinse the coil.

But since I didn't, I have been running the A/C for 3 hours. It's only 75 degrees with 20% humidity here in Arizona, so I had to let the house get pretty cool to get the A/C to stay on for awhile. Will running the A/C sufficiently pull out the straight water I sprayed on the coil, to prevent mold? Os should I open the panel in the next couple days and spray bleach/water on the coil this time?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-25-12, 07:20 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 52,676
Received 341 Votes on 319 Posts
I'm not sure what you should have sprayed on the coil but to dry it out just put the fan on. No need to run the A/C to dry it out.
 
  #3  
Old 11-26-12, 05:54 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,184
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I used a universal coil cleaner from Lowes. Says it works on all home HVAC systems. Then I just followed directions on can. Thanks
 
  #4  
Old 11-26-12, 04:32 PM
airman.1994's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,769
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Bleach will do nothing to keep mold from growing. It will not last more than an hour or two. Just clean with coil cleaner and rinse
 
  #5  
Old 11-26-12, 07:12 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,184
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Well, I ran both the A/C and the fan buy itself for awhile to evaporate all the water I used to rinse. Hopefully should be enough. I think people use bleach water to prevent mold from the initial rinsing only.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: