Air Conditioning Comes On Despite Settings

Old 11-29-12, 12:11 PM
Question Air Conditioning Comes On Despite Settings

I have a gas boiler that heats water for my baseboard heating system. I have three zones controlled by Honeywell thermostats. A forth Honeywell thermostat seems to control the air conditioning system, which is otherwise a separate systems that blows air through ceiling vents and uses an air handler as well as a whole house air conditioner installed outside.

The forth thermostate has the hot cold temperature dial as the others. It also has a control on the top left that is a left to right switch with three settings for Cool-Off-Heat. There is another control like it on the top right that moves left to right for On-Fan-Auto, but it has only two settings.

No matter how I set it, the air conditioning comes on sooner or later. I don't want the air conditioner to turn on at all during the winter. What combination of temperature and lever/switch settings for the two switches will allow me to keep the air conditioner off all winter while freely setting the base board heat on the other thermostats to whatever I want?

If that is not the way to do it, what is?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-12, 05:15 PM
if you set the system to OFF... it comes on? Does the thermostat run the baseboard heat? Or is the outdoor unit a heat pump and not just an a/c?

Old 11-30-12, 03:09 AM
It would seem that the top switches should be as follows ...cool off heat sw. in the "off" position.... "fan" switch in the "auto" position. If it still comes on then there is more to the system than you described...

Old 11-30-12, 06:15 AM
Response to HVACTECH FW

"hvactechfw
if you set the system to OFF... it comes on? Does the thermostat run the baseboard heat? Or is the outdoor unit a heat pump and not just an a/c?"

Yes, even set to off the air comes on. It is always cool air regardless of how any of the thermostats are set. It appears that the other three thermostats correspond to the three zones for the boiler that boils the water for the baseboard heating.

This thermostate does not appear to run the baseboard heat but I don't know for sure. I also don't think the outdoor unit is a heat pump but I don't know for sure.

How would I find these things out for sure that you still need to know?

Old 11-30-12, 06:31 AM
Get the make and model of the outdoor unit. Remove the thermostat and note what terminals are wired. For a simple fix... shut off breakers to both the outdoor unit and the air handler. However, this not telling you what is failed and bringing the system on. Also please post the make and model of your thermostat.

Old 11-30-12, 01:47 PM
Question

The outdoor unit is a bryant Quantum Plus, Model Number 552AN030-D and Serial Number 2699E05301. The thermostat is a 24 volt Honeywell T87F 1859 2 AU. One wire bottom left is on a screw attached to the back and the other end of the wire goes to the center of the unit. There is a wire on some little post like thing extending straight out behind the dial and the other end also goes back into the center of the thermostate somewhere. Another wire on a screw on the upper right also goes back to the center of the thermostat. There are 3 wires strapped to a fuse or bulb like thing and there is also a large spring behind the dial on the right.

What does this tell us?

Old 11-30-12, 04:36 PM
behind what you are describing at the thermostat is the terminals we need to see. pictures?

Old 12-04-12, 12:52 PM
Solved for now

Thank you all for your kind assistance.

I have come to the conclusion the Cool-Off-Heat terminal is not connected. However, if I turn that thermostate all the way up to its maximum setting and set the other switch to Auto, the air never comes on. This should work.