Window air conditioner going in the wall - need a bracket

Old 12-17-12, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window air conditioner going in the wall - need a bracket

All:

In doing a porch conversion I left an opening in the wall for an air conditioner. The AC unit is not real big (about 10000) but I can't seem to find a bracket or tray shat would just mount on the outside wall to support the unit. Seems there are a bunch of the brackets that assume you ware mounting in a window and require a sash to fit into. I just want something REAL simple that just does the job.

Suggestions?

...AR

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-12, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Normally the bracket mounts to the bottom of the AC and just rests against the wall. That is assuming a bracket is even required. I normally run a treated 1X6 or 2X6 horizontally to spread the weight from the brackets. I have never had a problem with the supplied brackets adjusting to the wall thickness. The more I write the less sure I am of your problem. If a bracket wasn't included it isn't need. Did you frame the wall opening with a jamb and trim? If the opening is a little high you can put a board or two underneath and cover with the trim.

Old 12-17-12, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 198 Votes on 183 Posts
I assume your opening is larger than needed for the AC unit. If so I'd add framing/blocking within your opening to get down to about 1/2" bigger than the AC unit then the mounting angles/brackets provided with the AC for window installation should work. For added security you can screw the AC's top mounting angle to your framing. After the AC is in place you can stuff insulation in the gap between the AC and framing to stop drafts. Then cover & trim it out the blocking to make it look nice.

Old 12-17-12, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've never been real keen on installing large-ish window units with no shelf support. Lot of weight hanging out there. I installed my shop unit by supporting the bottom edge with a length of aluminum angle suspended from the top of the opening by chain and eye-bolts. Very easy to level it because of the chain links and bolt/nuts adjustability.

Old 12-17-12, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As I said I put a horizontal 2X6 outside under the window. You can make simple right triangle corbel out of 2X6 and fasten them from the back side of the board then install the board.