New AC/Heat pump system

Old 01-15-13, 02:24 AM
New AC/Heat pump system

Hello,

I have a 2400 sq foot 2 story home that has an old Carrier 2 zone ac/heat pump system on it which needs to be replaced. The model # of the Carrier unit which I have installed now is 38BYB036300. The unit uses 2 thermostats and a control zoning board to control the unit.

I had a contractor come out last weekend to give me a quote for a new Lennox unit and this is what he suggested:
Lennox_14HPX_Heat_Pump
Lennox_XP16_Heat_Pump
Lennox_CB27UH_Air_Handler
Lennox_CBX32MV-CB31MV_Blower
Lennox_LZP4_Zoning_System.pdf
Lennox_Harmony_III_Zoning_System
Lennox_HC10_Media_Filtration

This unit comes with an unconditional 3 year written guarantee but it does come with a hefty price of over $10,000.

Please let me know if this is the unit you would go with or would you suggest a different unit. My next door neighbor has a Lennox Elite system and I have to admit the unit is noisy.

I would appreciate any information you could give me.

Thanks,

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-13, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glenn, the HVAC guys will chime in here shortly, but from my personal experience I had our older system replaced a couple of years ago with a Trane XL15 (I think that is the number) and a compatible air handler. It is so quiet you have to be within 10 to hear it run. It has dual coils in the condenser for what seems to be a better circulation of the coolant with more exposure. I had an electronic filtration system, but on their last service call suggested going with the 4" media filter since we have dogs. The zoning system is a good idea, but we don't have a need for that.

One other point, my Trane has a solid top on it, and is not exposed to wet icy slushy snow on the blades, like we get here in the south, which literally destroyed my old heat pump. Ice would build up on the blades and when (if able) the pump came on, the blades slung the ice through the coils. Not pretty.

Like I said, mine is a personal preference, so let the pros check in with their assessment of your suggested system.

Old 01-15-13, 06:31 PM
You have listed 2 heat pumps and 2 air handlers and 2 zoning systems, not sure exactly what kind of system you are getting. Personally, I don't like Lennox, but that is just a preference. For the most part brand does not matter it is all in the proper installation.