Is smaller copper line COLD and Sweat during the COOL cycle?

Old 02-12-13, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is smaller copper line COLD and Sweat during the COOL cycle?

Situation: Just rent a vacant office space. AC not working for who knows when, but had AC expert looked through and he replaced New outside unit fan motor, recharged R22 (5lbs). System ran nicely with cold cold air (65F measured at vent). But then felt no cold air blowing out of vent any more after 2, 3 hrs and of course, after the AC tech went away. Found A/H blower unit fan quit. Small copper line froze from air handler to the compressor.

I replaced A/H blower motor, system is now running, but no longer gives out cold air. Noticed that smaller copper line is cold and sweating. Something wrong here?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 03:51 PM
Sounds like it is low on charge or a metering device issue. These are NOT DIY problems to try and fix, call the pro back.

Old 02-13-13, 06:46 AM
Thanks my friend. I hear you. Here is also the picture of the indoor coil. http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9730/img3944n.jpg

Old 02-13-13, 07:14 AM
Frozen line may indicate low Freon, cold and sweat copper line is a good sign, but don't know why you don't get cold air. can be blocked coil, or.... This is not a DIY site if any work related to Freon charges, you can go to other diy forum for more details or call a pro.

Last edited by clocert; 02-13-13 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-13, 12:47 PM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
The smaller, uninsulated line should never be cold in cooling mode, let alone have condensation. (normally it should be well above the outdoor temperature)

There's most likely a major restriction in the outdoor unit itself. (plugged filter drier or otherwise)

Many problems can be misdiagnosed as a refrigerant leak if the tech doesn't know what he's doing.

Old 02-14-13, 05:10 AM
Check your TXV.

99% it'll be blocked or the suction line.

Old 02-14-13, 07:45 AM
Sorry, I was wrong, the small copper line should never be cold, Muggle is right. I do not know why I said that, age must got into me....