End of service life?

Old 02-15-13, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
End of service life?

Looking at a house built in 1995. It has central air. We could not test it during the inspection since the weather has been so cold here in the northeast. But in the inspection report the inspector mentioned that the useful life of a central air unit is 10-15 years. The house is 12/13 yrs old now. Should I plan on having to replace this unit soon? Approximate cost (house is about 2500 Sq Feet)?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 07:22 AM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Nope.

In in colder climate, a 13 year old a/c should have a lot of life left. Keep it until it until it needs a very expensive repair.

I wouldn't take anything a inspector says seriously, at least when it comes to hvac; it's a good idea to get the entire system checked by a pro when you move in.

Old 02-15-13, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
See how it goes. Some systems last longer than others. Hopefully you're creating a fund for this kind of stuff so you're ready when it goes.

Old 02-16-13, 07:19 PM
Even here in the desert southwest we ran a unit until it was eighteen years old, and when it did go, it was the air handler coils that failed rather than the compressor, but given the age we decided to just replace it outright. The new one came with a 12 year warranty too, so I expect it to be working out well into 2024...

Old 02-17-13, 05:22 AM
Muggle that is a pretty strong statement to paint all home inspectors as idiots. I am a home inspector and have taught HVAC and am HVAC certified. I also was a contractor that built houses and went thru many inspections with city building inspectors. Also have been a certified home inspector for a few years. I am 74 and still inspecting. So we are not all without knowledge or experience.

Old 02-20-13, 09:11 AM
It all depends on the quality of install. It's already been in for over a decade, so your probably looking at a somewhat reliable install. However if it hasn't ever been serviced, your probably going to lack in efficiency and with the units of today you can save a boat load of money for years to come, but if money is an issue right now then get a solid tune-up and you should be good for another 5-10 years.